This article is for helping R4i sdhc 3ds, R4i dual core 2018 and other R4 card users with a Macbook to install firmware and download ds games to their 3ds R4i cards. In 2018, R4 3ds card is still hot to buy with easy setup, cheap price and multiple functions, and plus the compatibility with NTRboothax, they are more popular to purchase than in the past years, cause we finally can use them to play free Nintendo 3ds games, just in another format-CIA.
R4i sdhc 3ds and R4i dual core 2018
The full name are R4i sdhc 3ds rts and R4isdhc dual core 2018. The 2 R4 flashcards are still the hot-sale items for hacking either 3DS or DS firmware device to play free ds games, run hombrews and play multimedia files. And as I said above, they are supporting NTRboot method for installing Boot9strap and Luma3DS CFW to any 3DS/2DS/NEW 3DS/2DS XL console to play free 3ds games with CIA format. A more detailed explanation on NTRbooth and R4 3ds cards are here to be read.
On the other hand, if you only have a NDS or DS Lite or DSI XL console but don’t know which R4 card to buy for it. Between the R4i sdhc rts and 2018 R4i dual core, we will recommend you the former one. It is with a higher price because the R4isdhc cards are the cheap clone version of R4i-sdhc rts 3ds from r4i-sdhc.com.
How to set up an R4 card on a Macbook in 2018?
What to notice?
- Download the correct firmware for each 3ds R4 flash carts. Check the R4 packages you received and make sure to download the latest firmware version from its official site.
- Unzip the firmware you get after download. Once you have the firmware file, you may need to download the shareware version of WinRar or 7-zip. Both of which will uncompress the archive for you and put it in a folder on your PC or Mac.
- Put the contents in firmware into your sd card’s root directory, not the whole folder.
- Your microsd card should be formatted with FAT32 or ExFAT.
How to do?
- Insert your memory card to the card reader that you can get from the Pack R4i 3DS.
- Insert the card reader to your computer.
- After connecting your microSD+card reader to your Mac for the first time start the application – Disk Utility.
- Select the microSD card from the list of mounted volumes on the left (select the device, not the partition), Select the Erase tab and select MS-DOS File System from the Volume Format: drop-down list, click the erase format to reformat as FAT .
- Download only the latest version of R4i SDHC 3DS/R4ISDHC DUAL CORE 2018 kernel from r4i-sdhc.com and r4isdhc.com.
- Download only .ds game files from any online Rom site, such as the Rom2station.com.
- Unzip the firmware folder. Do a right-click on it and select “Extract.”Note: The extraction process needs winrar or winzip.
- Expect to find files called moonmemo, R4iMenu, moonshl2, R4-‘date’_
- Select all these items and copy them. Copy all the files to your memory sd card.
- Eject the memory card and insert it into the R4i sdhc 3ds rts, R4i 3ds dual core or any R4 card you have.
Can you download 3ds games or emulators to R4 card?
Yes, you can, but the question is 3ds R4 cards like R4i 3ds sdhc rts, 2018 R4i 3ds dual core and other ones are still not supporting 3ds games. Even you download the 3ds game roms to the R4 card, it can’t read any of them on your 3DS or DS system device. As for emulators, R4 card is compatible with many retro game emulators. Here is a list for R4 3DS emulators.
R4 3DS recommended emulators are:
- Snesmulds (SNES)
- NesDS (NES)
- Gbaemu4ds (GBA)
- Gameyob (GBC&GB)
- Lameboy (GBC&GB)
- GbgbcDS (GB/GBC)
- GenesisDS (Genesis)
- NeoDS (Neo Geo games)
- S8DS (Sega Game Gear games)
- FrodoDS (C64)
- Stella DS (Atari 2600)
- ZXDS (ZX Spectrum)
- Nitrografx (urbo Grafix/PC Engine Consoles games)